The competition on the Internet is fierce. While many people will seek out information about a particular business, it’s also important to make your website easily found for those who don’t have a specific company in mind.
Here are 7 important features of a website that is Google-friendly and easily found.
- SEO and Keywords. Make sure that your website is optimized for online searchers to find you. Place keywords such as your industry name + your location in your website title, your meta title, meta description and your content. You also want to include keywords in your content, but not in a way that sounds unnatural. Remember, keywords are important, but quality writing is even more so.
- Good URL structure. Many unedited URLs are full of unnecessary characters that make them hard to read for both search engines are people. When creating pages and posting blog posts, you can easily edit the name of your URL to make them look cleaner and to include keywords.
- Fast load times. Google does include page speed in their ranking algorithm, so make sure your site isn’t bogged down with too many images or other things that will slow it down.
- Internal links. PageRank is Google’s link analysis algorithm. It is used to determine the importance of each page. Different pages of your site can pass on their PageRank to other pages they link to, so linking internally can help your overall ranking.
- Text with your images. Images and video are great elements for getting attention. However, they’re not great for SEO purposes. Google’s software reads text. They cannot index your images, no matter how relevant they are. Because of this, it’s important to add some text to your images.
- No duplicate content. Duplicate content on the same site will only confuse Google and dilutes your site’s links and page ranking. If you have pages that require similar content, make sure the text differs from each other.
- No hidden text. Back in the early days of SEO, it was okay to add hidden text with keywords to your site. Nowadays, hidden text is actually counterproductive and can hurt your ranking. Search engines will not show pages in which they suspect hidden text.
With so many businesses online, it’s necessary to create a Google-able website for your own business. You want to make it as easy as possible for consumers to find you over the many other businesses out there. Use these 7 features to make your website Google-friendly.