When you are developing the domain name for your business’ website, you want to put some thought into it. You want customers to find your business easily, and you want to make it easy to remember. Here are some things to consider when choosing a domain name for your business:
- Keep it short and easy to type: The first thing you want to consider is a domain name that is short and easy to remember. You don’t want people to mistype or misspell it when entering it in. Keep it short and simple and more people will be able to find you. Also keep in mind that a domain name should be easy to type. Using slang will often confuse people and have them type in other words instead of your website’s address.
- Use keywords: Keywords are a good way to describe your business and what it does or offers. You can use keywords in your domain name as a way to remind customers about your business’ products and services. It’s still important to keep it simple and easy to remember. This will also help you rank higher in keyword searches on search engines, which is another way your customers will find you.
- Avoid numbers and punctuation: Using numbers in your website can be confusing to customers as they will not know if you type the numeral or spell out the number. This is an easy way to get customers frustrated with trying to find your website. Hyphens, dashes and other punctuation marks can also cause complications, as these can be forgotten easily because they aren’t pronounced when verbalizing your domain name. Avoid using them.
- Choose the correct domain extension: There are several different domain extensions to choose from. The .com domain extension is the most popular and is part of the largest number of domain addresses. You can also select .co, which is an abbreviation for company, commerce and community. Use .info for informational sites and .net for technical and Internet infrastructure sites. Non-commercial organizations and nonprofits use .org. Another business extension is .biz, which is common for e-commerce sites. Select the one that is right for your company.
- Protect your brand: Buy various domain extensions and misspelled versions of your domain name to ensure you have every way that your customers may try to find you covered. You can direct these domains to your main website address. This will also ensure your competitors don’t register these other versions of your domain name and direct traffic to their website instead.
- Move quickly: Domain names get bought very fast, so you want to make sure you move quickly on deciding what domain name you want to use. Many are very inexpensive to purchase so you shouldn’t have a problem registering your favorite right away. If you are having trouble finding a domain name that is available, you can use domain registrars to suggest alternatives that might work for your business.
By putting some thought and consideration into the process, you will be able to select a memorable domain name that is easy for your customers to find and remember. Be sure to act fast before the domain name you are looking for gets purchased and you are unable to obtain it.
About Lexi St. Laurent
Lexi joined BizIQ in March of 2015 and works directly with BizIQ customers as a Senior Account Manager. She brings over eight years of experience in social media, content marketing, and community management to the team, and has a passion for helping small businesses grow through online marketing.
More from Lexi | LinkedIn